Ohio Supreme Court Denies Late Appeal of Murder Conviction

In September, Columbus Jones requested that the Ohio Supreme Court allow him to file an appeal in connection with his 2011 murder conviction for allegedly firing a gun at a fraternity house which resulted in the death of one man and injury of others who were present. The court denied the motion due to the fact that months have passed since Jones’ conviction was affirmed by the 7th District Court of Appeals.

Jones was sentenced to 92 years to life in prison following his conviction. In February of 2011, a commotion broke out on a dance floor that ended with the death of Jamail Johnson and several others being injured after more than 20 shots from two different guns were fired toward a fraternity house. Eyewitness testimony and other evidence resulting in Jones being convicted, however he maintains that he was not the shooter, and the evidence is not credible.

In appealing his conviction to the Ohio Supreme Court, Jones wrote that he was not properly notified by his legal counsel of the process. Jones allegedly was not aware that as the months went by, his time period in which to appeal ran out. He claims the lapse was brought to his attention by an inmate clerk working in a prison legal library.

Ultimately, Jones’ motion for a delayed appeal for his conviction in connection with the murder of the Youngstown State University student was denied.

While it is rare, there are occasions on which innocent people are found guilty of violent or heinous crimes including murder. In our country, those charged with any crime, regardless of its severity, are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. However, because those in the criminal justice system are human, mistakes can be made. A juror may be biased, a judge may not properly instruct a jury, or a prosecutor may introduce evidence that should not have been allowed. Regardless, when someone is convicted of a crime, it is possible to appeal the conviction or sentence. You ultimately have another chance to right the wrong that was done to you.

If you have been wrongly convicted of a crime or feel your sentence was unjust, contact a capable and experienced Michigan criminal appeals attorney who will review your case and determine if you may have solid grounds for appeal.

Contact Information