Switching Attorneys In The Middle Of A Case

Your initial choice in who your attorney is to defend you in a criminal case is obviously a very important one. Your attorney can single-handedly be the reason why you win or lose your case. Everyone wants the luxury of feeling that their attorney is the right one for the job every time they step foot in a courtroom. What happens if you aren’t happy with their work? What happens if the attorney-client relationship has gotten to the point that it is no longer workable? Are you allowed to switch attorneys in the middle of your case? Is that even a good idea? These are some of the questions that come about during certain cases. Sometimes, the attorney you initially hire really isn’t the person for the job and it is your responsibility to do something about it. That is, if the court will allow the change.

The Process Of Choosing An Attorney

The process of choosing an attorney can be quite complicated. All attorneys carry the same license no matter what their specialty. It is important to choose an attorney that has the experience necessary in your specific area needed in order for you to receive the highest level of representation possible. Would you hire a foot doctor to do an open-heart surgery? So then why do people hire divorce attorneys to handle their criminal cases? The answer is that many attorneys are simply good salesmen, or they were recommended by someone who isn’t an attorney themselves. It is not expected that you know how good an attorney truly is in whatever subject area, but in today’s day and age, you are more able than ever to properly research the attorneys you are considering in order to make the best choice possible. Attorneys come in all shapes and sizes. Whether you are looking for an attorney for representation on a traffic ticket or for a murder case, it is important that you take your time, meet with multiple attorneys and see which attorney fits your needs best before you make your decision. At Grabel & Associates, we always offer a FREE consultation so you can meet with us to discuss your case before you make any big decisions.

What Happens If I Want A New Attorney?

If you are unhappy with your attorney and want to make a change, it is important to do this as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less likely a judge will allow your attorney to withdraw from the case. One of the main roles of a judge that not many people talk about is the efficiency in which cases are completed, no matter the outcome. Judges across the state of Michigan have various requirements regarding how quickly cases must be adjudicated. The process of having your attorney withdraw and finding a new one to pick up the case at that point isn’t always easy, and it always takes some amount of time to do properly. As you take further steps in the case, not only does the judge become a bigger factor in possible not allowing a change, it also makes it more difficult for the new attorney to get up to speed and try to fix whatever mistakes were made by the previous attorney. In short, time is of the essence. If you have concerns with your representation, it is on you to speak up and make a change if necessary. Many times, a judge will appoint a public defender to represent you initially but will generally allow you to hire private counsel once you are able to secure an attorney for your case. Again, don’t take too long in making this choice, because in the end a judge can simply say no.

Why Hire Us?

At Grabel & Associates it’s pretty simple. We handle criminal defense cases only. Our team has over 100 years of combined experience in successfully defending criminal cases all over the state of Michigan. We are not a general practice firm, nor do we pretend to be one. We pride ourselves in the highest level of representation for people charged with criminal offenses. We are a team of well-seasoned trial attorneys who are ready to take your case to trial if necessary. If you would like to speak to one of our attorneys regarding your case then feel free to contact us on our 24/7 defense line at 1-800-342-7896, contact us online, or come visit us at one of our three statewide offices. We can also come to you. The consultation, as always, is FREE.

Contact Information