Cell Phone Store Robberies Result in Lengthy Prison Sentences for Two Detroit Teens

Two Detroit teens will face federal sentences for their alleged involvement in robbing two cell phone stores over the past year. 18-year-old Jesse Dismukes and 19-year-old David Lamont Holland now each face a mandatory minimum of 32 years behind bars for the robberies. 808843_blackberry_keypad.jpg

A news article at Mlive.com says that the teen boys may in some ways be “guinea pigs” for Detroit One, a new program launched in March that essentially merges many agencies from all levels to collaborate and fight crimes considered to be the “worst of the worst.” The agencies that have come together in this effort include the FBI, Michigan state police, Detroit police, Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.

It’s likely that if Holland and Dismukes had been tried at the state level in Wayne County Circuit Court, sentencing may not have been as severe.

Both Dismukes and Holland pleaded guilty to two counts of using or carrying a firearm during and in relation to a federal crime of violence, and two counts of robbery affecting interstate commerce. Dismukes allegedly robbed a Warren AT&T store on January 26 and an Eastpointe Radio Shack on December 1, using an AK-47 in commission of the crime. Holland admitted to robbing a Detroit T-Mobile store on December 7, and participated with Dismukes in the Radio Shack robbery.

Robert D. Foley III, FBI Special Agent in Charge, said that the convictions of the two teens will send a strong message that severe penalties await those who are considered dangerous criminals and who commit acts of violence.

Michigan federal crime attorneys understand the penalties handed down at the federal level are typically more severe than those at the state level. Considering the teens’ current ages and the fact that they will spend more than 30 years behind bars, their lives are essentially ruined.


If you have been charged with any serious crime or are under investigation and have not been arrested, it is highly recommended that you consult with a capable and aggressive Michigan criminal defense lawyer right away.